STOCK AREA: Gulf of Lions (GSA 7)
Hake, Merluccius merluccius
VOLUME OF LANDINGS : 1,400 tons in 2013
FLEET : 58 french trawlers in 2013
LANDINGS PORTS : Port-Vendres (PV), Sète (ST), Martigues (MT), Marseille (MA)
This fishery uses bottom trawling; cone-shaped nets are dragged across the sea floor by one or two boats.
It operates year-round in the Gulf of Lions, in Languedoc-Roussillon and in PACA.
Results of the MSC pre-assessment, conducted using the precautionary principle (bar filled = benchmark achieved). Only some of the data is presented here. For a full listing of the results, please visit the Medfish website.
POINTS FOR IMPROVEMENT
- Stock is scientifically monitored
- Information available on stock caught by gear and by fleet
- Trawl management plan in place which defines a target level of fishing mortality for each fishery (FRMD)
- Significant decline in fishing activities
- GALION project: mapping of catches and discards, study on the selectivity of fishing gears, definition of sensitive and at risk habitats, recommendation of fishing strategies to limit discards
- Stock at an intermediate level of abundance, low recruitment and biomass
- Current fishing mortality is much higher than target fishing mortality for each fishery
- Minimum legal size is larger than mean size at sexual maturity
- Further reduction of fishing activities but too early to assess impact on stock levels
> Download this fishery factsheet
> Read the pre-assessment report of this fishery
> Read the action plan report of this fishery